Good nutrition conducive to student learning
Red Deer Public Schools takes pride in our Nutrition Policy that supports healthy eating as an integral part of growth and development and good nutrition as being conducive to student learning. As a result, the Board is committed to creating school environments that encourage healthy eating habits. The policy includes an emphasis on comprehensive instruction on nutrition and limits the sale and distribution of non-healthy foods and beverages.
The Board of Trustees received the Alberta Healthy Communities Award for developing and implementing this innovative policy, the first of its kind in Alberta.
Healthy Fundraising Ideas for Schools
Our nutrition policy promotes healthy eating for students. Foods sold as part of a fundraising activity are regulated by the nutrition policy. There are many healthy foods that can be sold. If you want to sell food items as part of your school fundraiser or are fundraising on school grounds, please contact the Central Services for guidance and advice before you get started.
- Home Lunch Recipes
- Restaurant Lunch Ideas
- Restaurant Menu Choices
- Side Menu Choices
- Shopping Items - Costco
- Shopping Items - Real Canadian Wholesale
- Shopping Items - Save-On Foods
- The Brand Name Food List – this web site will help schools assess packaged foods and foods from franchised restaurants Click Here
- Bake Better Bites – a recipe collection of healthy baked goods Click Here
- Healthier Foods – How to Make Fast Food for Healthier for Students – a handout to help schools determine if a food is healthy when there is no Nutrition Facts tables available Click Here
- Marketing Healthy Choices Click Here
- Snack Shack Manual Click Here