October 22, 2014
Moment of Silence: In response to the tragic events that took place earlier in the day in Ottawa, the Board observed one minute of silence.
ASAA Golf: The Board recognized Hunting Hills High Schools students and their coach for winning a gold medal for team play at this year’s ASAA Provincial Golf Championship in Calgary.
Report from Learning Services/Technology: Focusing on what is truly the primary purpose of the work of the district, the Board heard reports on a number of initiatives within Learning Services including:
- REFRESH – represents how the district is responding to changes in education that will better prepare them for their future. It will support staff in infusing literacy and numeracy across the curriculum, developing cross-curricular competencies and focusing on instructional design
- Moving forward with high school redesign and encouraging flexibility in delivering instruction to support high school completion and transitions. A key piece is working with community partners through School Within a College and partnerships with local businesses and trade associations.
- First Nations, Metis and Inuit (FNMI) Services: provide universal, targeted and specialized academic and cultural supports to build the capacity of schools to meet the needs of their FNMI students. A school planning rubric guides school based planning to meet the needs of FNMI students.
- Information Technology: Work has focused on implementation of the new Student Information System; implementation of Google Apps across the district; examining implementation of provincial Learning and Technology Policy Framework; and developing a strategic plan to support teaching, learning and administrative technology needs into the future. The IT Services staff have also had a very busy year with several school transitions taking place over the summer.
Modular Request 2015: Alberta Education has requested school jurisdictions forward priorities for school modular classrooms. Criteria for the acquisition of modulars include: health and safety, enrollment pressures, program delivery and evergreening. The Board will forward a request for two modular classrooms for Westpark Middle School and two modular classrooms for Gateway Christian School for delivery in 2015 to address enrollment pressures.
North East High School Site Concept Plan not supported by Board: Red Deer Public Schools, Red Deer Catholic Schools, Conseil scolaire du centre-nord, and the City of Red Deer developed a concept plan to guide the phased development of the North-East high school site to be located north-east of 30th Avenue and 67th Street.
The concept plan was not approved by the Board as they felt it was inconsistent with their initial understanding, expectations and desire to have greater use of shared facilities between and among the education partners. The Board still desires to be a partner in the project as it believes there is value through shared facility use among the three jurisdictions.
- High School Awards Programs are recognizing academic achievements of students.
- Special thanks to all those who made the move between Annie L Gaetz and the Central Campus go so well. Students and staff are in their temporary school and like it. The move required extraordinary work from many, and we are grateful for that.