A school council works to promote the well-being and effectiveness of the entire school community to enhance student learning.
A School Council is a collective association of parents, teachers, principals, staff and community representatives who work together to Effectively support and enhance student learning. School councils provide one means for members of the school community to provide advice to and consult with the principal and to advise the school board. The Alberta School Act, and the School Councils Regulation describe the makeup and function of a school council.
The School Act states ... "The school council may, at its discretion, advise the principal and the board respecting any matter relating to the school," and "the majority of a school council shall be parents of students enrolled in the school." Each school council must consist of:
- the principal of the school;
- at least one teacher at the school, elected or appointed by other teachers;
- if the school includes a senior high school program, at least one student enrolled in the high school, elected or appointed by the other students;
- parents of students enrolled in the school, and
- at the discretion of the council, a person who
- is a parent of a child enrolled in and Early Childhood Services (ECS) program at the school or
- has no children at the school but has an interest in the school.
See the Alberta School Council Resource Guide for more information on school councils.
City Wide School Council
Providing opportunities to enhance communications
The City Wide School Council Committee provides opportunities for school councils to enhance communication together with school councils, the Board of Trustees, administration, and the community on education matters.
Agenda items for the City Wide School Council Committee should originate with individual school councils who will request to the Chair in advance of the meeting that an item be placed on the agenda.
Vice Chair -
CWSC meetings begin at 7pm and are traditionally held in the School Iibrary.
Meeting Schedule for 2017/2018:
- October 10, 2017 - Don Campbell Elementary School - Election Meet & Greet
- November 14, 2017 - Hunting Hills High School
- January 23, 2018 - Eastview Middle School
- March 6, 2018 - Central Middle School
- May 8, 2018 - Normandeau School