Entering kindergarten is an exciting time and a big step for children and their families. It is a wonderful time when children are encouraged to grow creatively, culturally, emotionally, intellectually, physically as well as socially. Parents and teachers work together to ensure transition from home to school as smooth as possible.
Full day Kindergarten is being offered at the following schools:
- Annie L. Gaetz Elementary - Full and half day (subject to enrollment) options are available
- Don Campbell Elementary - Two full days and 1 half day Friday option
- Gateway Christian - Full day only
- Mattie McCullough Elementary - Full days, with option of half days if enough interest
Students will be able to attend on either Mondays & Wednesdays or Tuesdays & Thursdays with alternating Fridays.
Programming for young children is based on the following beliefs:
- Kindergarten is to help children acquire early skills in literacy, numeracy, communication and problem solving
- Kindergarten provides children the necessary skills and knowledge for future academic success
- Parents are the most important partners in their child’s education.
The word kindergarten literally means “children’s garden” and recognizes that environment and education contribute to a well-rounded personality. It recognizes the education value of play and hands-on experience. It is meant as a supplement to the nurturing environment at home and encourages the involvement and cooperation of parents in the classroom setting.
While kindergarten is a time for learning, being with other children and developing new skills, it is also a time where the school can identify a child’s strengths as well as needs. This gives teachers an opportunity to start programming for the individual child and the group as a whole.