Newcomers to Canada Welcome Centre
Welcome to Red Deer!
Red Deer Public School Division welcome’s students from around the world! Students who are not Canadian citizens must register through the Red Deer Public Schools Welcome Centre, even if they have attended school elsewhere in Canada.
- Permanent Residents
- Refugee Claimants
- Children of lawfully admitted temporary residents
- Parents / Legal Guardians on work permits
- Parents / Legal Guardians on study permits
- Parents / Legal Guardians is permanent resident or Canadian and their child is not
English Language Assessment
All students new to Red Deer in Grades 1 to 12 who are not Canadian citizens and who speak a language at home other than English, will complete an English Language Proficiency Assessment and an intake interview. The intake process will gather the following information:
- family information
- educational information including preferred modes of learning and particular interests
- medical information
- legal documents
The student will be assessed on their ability to:
- write; and
- understand English
Your child will be assessed using the Alberta Education ESL Proficiency Benchmarks in order to inform programming at the school.
Please bring the following original documents with you:
- Student birth certificate
- Citizenship card/documents:
- Canadian citizenship
- Permanent residency
- Refugee claimant
- Student’s passport
- Parent’s or legal guardian’s work or study permit
- Legal Guardianship Order
- Student’s visitor or study permit (for international students)
- Proof of address (e.g., driver’s license or utility bill)
- Report cards from previous school
- Specialized reports if applicable (e.g., medical, educational) and the following applicable
BOOKING AN APPOINTMENT
Please call our office at 403-343-1405 to book appointments or have questions answered.
Care for Newcomers is our partner in supporting new immigrants to find their way in Red Deer and Central Alberta. The organization provides a full range of programs, including English as a Second Language for adults, Youth Settlement in schools and after-hours, volunteering, translation and interpretation, community connections, group activities, intercultural awareness training and employment support.
Address: #202 5214 47Avenue Red Deer, Alberta